BOOK CLUB NOTES FOR THE FRENCH PROMISE
If you’re reading The French Promise in your book club, you may enjoy having these conversation points to prompt your discussion and to get the conversation ranging. Enjoy and thank you so much for reading this novel of mine. F
Book Club Notes for The French Promise
1. Discuss the prologue of the novel. Do you think it was an effective opening to the story? How did it affect you as a reader?
2. Was Max Vogel wrong in defying Lisette’s request and bringing his discovery to the attention of Luc nearly two decades after the end of WWII?
3. Discuss the tragic events at Clifton Beach in Tasmania. What would any mother do in those circumstances?
4. Do you think Luc Bonet is a tragic literary figure or a heroic one?
5. Is every adult character in The French Promise damaged as a result of WWII?
6. Were you pleased to see Luc find love again?
7. Was Luc’s decision to hunt down von Schleigel justified? What would you have done if you were in his shoes?
8. Discuss the ways in which Jane helps Luc and Jenny to heal past wounds. In what ways do they help her do the same in return?
9. Discuss the different promises that are made throughout the novel. How many of them are kept?
10. What do you think might happen to these characters next? Fiona deliberately left the ending of this story open so readers could make up their own minds.